Sunday, November 7, 2010

Funny Things Happen To Me

I decided to finally start blogging because funny things happen to me all the time.

Today, was no exception. I attended a celebration put on by a family, Taw Taw's family, who has now been in the United States for a year. The event was held at the Salvation Army Church which is right by their home. Noel, Matt, JP and I went in and immediately saw my friend Lori Stoll who said they were having a service before we ate. I sat down among 60 to 75 Burmese, some I knew and some I didn't. After some singing Taw Taw's dad stood up and began to thank Lori for all the wonderful things she has done for their family this past year. It was very touching and I whole heartedly agreed with everything he said. He said such wonderful things like when my son is older I hope he takes care of you when you are older as well as our family. He said I know my life will be good because you are in our lives...on and on. Then he stopped and started to say something nice about me. He said, "When my family first came to America it was discovered that one of my sons had something wrong with him. You drove him to the hospital. I did not know how to get to the hospital. I could not get a hold of my caseworker but you helped me. I needed food and you brought me food to the hospital. I had never seen nor tasted any of the food you brought me before. It gave me a big headache but I am thankful." He went on to say about another sentence or so but I couldn't help but laugh really hard inside. That was one of the funniest things I had heard in a long time. The snack food I had brought him to eat while his son was in the hospital gave him a big headache but he was thankful. Ah, so funny.

My hope for this blog is that you will see what I, my family, and others like Barry and Lori Stoll are able to see one a daily basis, the beauty and fun we experience while serving the refugees of Columbia, MO.

Much love.

1 comment: